Monday, March 15, 2010

When Ben get's hungry.....

We woke up to a winter wonderland in Durango. Little did I know that this would be an underlying theme for our next 48 hours of travel. I'll tell you more about that later. Road conditions were good even though the night had brought a fresh blanket of snow.
But before we could get out of town, we had to find some food. Ben remembered a place from a prior visit where he enjoyed a breakfast burrito. He was on a quest.

I’m not sure if I’ve covered this before, but I should fill you in on some of the finer points of Rodeo band culture. Ben Stehle is the band problem solver. He always has a positive attitude and he get’s shit done. Ben is especially effective when things get really rough. Especially when others would give up all hope. The only time Ben is not an asset is when he’s hungry. He can get cranky quickly and a downward spiral occurs. Have you ever seen a wet cat? It’s something like that, only maybe more like a wet cat hooked up to a car battery. So when I say Ben was on a quest for a breakfast burrito, I’m not joking . In these moments, everyone knows what has to happen. BEN MUST EAT. FOOD MAKE BEN HAPPY.

We went to what we thought was the burrito joint, but it turned out to be a bagel shop. Tiny Dancer and I were half way done ordering our bagels when Ben realized we were at the wrong place. I turned around and he was gone. The quest to find a breakfast burrito had begun. I knew he was unhappy and I knew I needed to stay out of his way.

While Tiny Dancer and I enjoyed our bagels, Bryan stumbled around in some sort of a sleep deprivation trance. Ben was gone and Bryan was walking in circles. Bryan had slept in the van the night before and he was as cranky as Ben because sleeping in the van meant he didn’t sleep at all. I don’t know where the hell Sugar was, but I think he may have been jacked in to the matrix at a coffee shop.

When I got back to the van, I could see the veins bulging in Ben’s neck. He was waiting for us to return so he could start driving and find his Precious. Ben had information from a source that led him to believe the place with the burritos was just up the street. Tiny Dancer and I jumped in and we went for a ride. No time to get the others. Bryan and Sugar were left behind. Ben’s usual cool and collective driving skills went out the window. The next five minutes of tour bus hell consisted of frequent starts and stops, illegal u turns, and road rage that can normally only be witnessed in Los Angeles. Just when I was about to ask Ben to let me out, he found the place. Success!

Not so fast. These folks in Durango got rules. I’ll let Ben explain it..


Well shit, you can't always get what you want. Sorry Ben. Time to get on the road. Stay tuned. The next 48 hours of travel would make Ben's burrito quest look like small potatoes. It would also give us all an opportunity to see Ben at his best. I'll write more soon.

Brent

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home