Thursday, March 18, 2010

Trash Bar, Humble TX

We rolled in to Trash Bar late, and I expected the worst. We had just driven 8 hours from Oklahoma. When we arrived at the club the show had already begun. If you don’t know what goes on at this place, it‘s easy to assume you just stepped in to a first class shit hole. From the outside it looks run down and on the inside it’s the same. Most of the mirrors and windows are cracked. People bring their own booze into the bar in brown paper bags. They have one beer on tap: Lone Star. If you want something different, you can bring your own beer and they will throw it in the fridge for you.
Our Seattle friends in the Shivering Denizens got us this gig. They were at the club when we arrived. I wasn’t sure if I wanted to thank them or curse them for setting this one up. It didn’t really matter. We were here and we were ready to do our thing.

The guys were hungry after the drive and Tiny Dancer found a convenience store selling cheap tacos. After checking in with the club, we ventured out to fill our stomachs. I think all of us except Bryan ate. I’m not sure why he didn’t eat. His polyester wranglers are barely staying up at this point. The skinny little fucker could use some food. Oh well. To each his own.

After dinner Ben went straight to the quarter arcade.

Ben was so excited about the quarters, he tracked Bryan down and got him involved. I think this may have been a substitution for the usual pre-show game of pool. They were both fascinated with the shiny coins and hoping to strike it rich. Ben called me a couple of different times to get me involved. I had gotten my fill in Vegas and wasn’t interested.

Sugar, Tiny Dancer, and myself found a Mexican restaurant in a strip mall and had drinks in the bar.

Next we walked to the liquor store and grabbed our own bottle of Ciroc for the show. It was time to do bring some class to the situation. Anytime I'm uncertain about an evening, I like to ask myself, what would Diddy do? In this case the answer was premium vodka.

We returned to Trash Bar and the place had transformed into a total scene. The bar was packed and folks were rocking out to the Shivering Denizens. It seemed everybody was ready to have a good time and the Denizens were killing it. Awesome set!
The place got rowdy and it was at this point I realized that my initial instincts about the joint were flawed.
The Denizens wrapped up and we ripped into one of the raunchiest sets of the tour. None of these people had heard us. We weren’t even listed on the chalkboard at the front door. This didn’t matter. The crowd was loose and they were ready for the Rodeo. We gave it to them hard. They liked it.

After the show, we met Felipe of the band Los Skarnales. They are headlining our upcoming show in Houston (Fitzgerald's, Saturday 3/20).

http://www.houstonpress.com/events/los-skarnales-bo-peep-brent-amaker-and-the-rodeo-1697100/

Felipe was at Trash Bar to meet us and show us a good time. How fucking cool is that? Now this guy is a badass motherfucker, and as it turns out he is a total rock star in Houston. We spent the rest of the evening shooting the shit with Felipe and crew. What a way to welcome Seattle Cowboys to town. Felipe asked if we had a place to stay. The answer was no, and before I could turn around he had set up an after party and found a friend with a four bedroom house who was willing to put us up. These Texans are serious about their hospitality.

The bar closed, and everyone headed to a party at Sammie’s house. I found myself sitting on a patio looking at fire and shooting the shit with a cool bunch of real deal Texans. It felt like home.
It was a fun night and it really brought me back to my southern roots. I could really connect with this bunch and I understood what they were about. It sure wasn’t like this when we toured Belgium. God bless Texas.
et.com/albums/hh43/brentamaker/money.jpg">

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home