Tuesday, March 16, 2010

TULSA

I'm a born and raised Okie, but I never spent much time in Tulsa. When I was booking this tour, we had an open day that was originally planned as a day off. We don't like to have days off, so I put the word out to some friends. Turns out my friend Alexis who lives in Seattle, is originally from Tulsa. We were hanging out at an Animals at Night show in Seattle and geeking out on the fact that we both grew up in Oklahoma. Next thing I knew we were talking about the tour and she told me she could get me a show. This is tour booking at it's best. It's all about friends and connections.

Alexis put me in touch with Marc (who owns the Crystal Pistol in Tulsa) and he gave us the date. So I've been looking forward to this show ever since I booked it. I love playing in my home state and I regret that I never really hung out in Tulsa when I lived here. Perfect.

We worked hard to get to Tulsa. An all night New Mexico ice storm experience led to an all day drive without sleep. But thanks to Priceline.com (their I-phone app has saved us on this tour), we scored a four star Hotel for $60 a night.

We rolled in to the Crowne Plaza Hotel at 3pm and started napping. Well at least a couple of us caught up on some sleep. Ben and Tiny Dancer can't ever pass up a thrift store. They decided to power through and do some shopping. Check out Tiny Dancer at the bar of the Crowne Plaza after he got back.

Once we got to the Crystal Pistol, Marc took us out for some Oklahoma BBQ at the Knotty Pine.

This place has been around since the 1930's and the food is amazing.

After getting some grub, we loaded in and played some music. I had no idea that Tulsa was so cool! Great folks working at the bar and great patrons. We played our set and then hung out with a storm trooper.

I tried to set up an after party so we could get to know him better. Turns out storm troopers have to get up early on week days to go to work.

We hung out at the bar until after they closed it down. Crystal Pistol is an awesome spot and we really got to know some of the locals. After closing, Marc took us next door to the historic Cains Ballroom and gave us a tour.

Next stop OKC. Gonna drop in on my parents and get some grub before the show. Can't wait!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home